While presenting on the web is definitely not the same as in person, there are things you can do to help the audience understand and connect while you present on-line.
- Test your Internet connection to make sure you have enough connectivity.
- Practice using the webinar software to learn about the system startup, transition, and shutdown process.
- Coordinate with the moderator and backstage team how the Q & A, polls, and ad hoc conversation will be handled.
- Block time on your calendar, include, as a buffer, at least 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after.
- Have a Plan B to present.
Look your best
- Arrange the lighting in your room to be in front of you so your face is well lit.
- Be aware of the items in your background and on shelves. Remove anything you think would be a distraction.
- Dress to the audience’s expectations.
Sound your best
- Shut any doors to your presentation area to keep people out and noise low.
- Share with your housemates that you are presenting.
Deliver your best
- Turn off unnecessary computers, streaming devices, apps, gadgets, etc.
- Shutdown any unnecessary apps or services that might be running in the background (streaming services, backup apps, DropBox, Box, etc.).
- Remind your housemates you need the Internet connection for your presentation time.
- Have your webcam plugged in if it’s not built in.
- Have your head set plugged in.
- Have open and ready your presentation and supporting media.
- Startup the presentation app being used (Zoom, GoToWebinar, etc.).
- Have your back channel communication open and ready with the moderator / backstage support.
Here are several resources to help you present using Zoom:
Computer and system requirements for Zoom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux
Test your Internet speed in Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=speed+test
Using PowerPoint and Zoom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203395347-Screen-Sharing-a-PowerPoint-Presentation
Using KeyNote and Zoom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362963-Screen-Share-A-Keynote-Presentation
Category: Alliance Outreach and Projects